ENGLISH CONTENTS OF 'RAMAYANA VISHAVRUKSHAM' ( in 3 volumes)
Volume 1 (7th edition: pages 654, paper back, 1/8th crown size)
Period of composition: November 1973 to October 1974.
(First and the third stories were originally published in 'Andhra Jyothi' weekly as serials and the book with other contents came out in October 1974)
1st edition: 1974 (2000 copies)
2nd edition: 1975 (2000 copies)
3rd edition: 1977 (1000 copies)
4th edition: 1981 (1000 copies)
5th edition: 1987 (1000 copies)
6th edition: 1993 (1000 copies)
7th edition: 1997 (1000 copies)
Contents (in English)
Search for the truth
Foreword to the second edition
1. Few things about 'Ramayana'
2. Story of Rama
3. Four aspects concerning the stories in this volume
4. Rama (his character)
5. Myth and Rationalism
6. About the stories in this volume:
1) This is Ramayana!
2) Throne at the mercy of the shoes
3) It happened just like this!
7. How do kings rule people?
8. Let us see some laughable things in these stories
9. Similarities between the lives of those days and these days
10. The actual aim of this Introduction
1) Law of evolution of human history
2) The beginning of human race
3) Man-woman relations in the gen-system
4) Property rights in the gen-system
5) After group marriage in the gen-system
6) Religion in the gen-system
7) Growth of knowledge in the gen-system
8) Production and labour
9) Division of labour between men and women
10) Trade in the gen system
11) Invasions of gens
12) Disintegration of gen system due to the emergence of private property
13) Classes, class interests and class nature
14) New constitution after the gen system
15) Begining of the 'army' in the human history
18) Caste distinctions
19) Man-woman relations in the new set up
21) Monogamous marriage
24) Army of pens: a)What it did for women? B) What it did for the poor
25) Exploitative system and the shameless culture
26) Origin of the state
27) Feudal set-up
30) Enemy classes under feudalism
31) Emergence of capitalist class
32) Enemy classes under capitalism
33) Where and how exploitation takes place?
34) Culture in the capitalist system
35) Communist society
36) Reformation or patch work?
11. Once again on Ramayana
1) Is 'Ramayana' a beautiful poem?
2) Gods and Devotion
12. The Last Foreword
13. About the cover picture of the book
14. Relevant Books Read
1. VALMIKI'S RAMAYANA (the beginning of 'Bala Kanda')
2. THIS IS RAMAYANA! (Story-1)
3. AFTER THE 1ST STORY AND UPTO THE 2ND STORY (Link-1)
4. SHOES AT THE MERCY OF THE THRONE! (Story-2)
5. AFTER THE 2ND STORY AND UPTO THE 3RD STORY (Link-2)
6. IT HAPPENED JUST LIKE THIS! (Story-3)
(Total Foot notes in this volume: 182)
Volume 2 (6th edition: pages 690, paper back, 1/8th demmy size)
Period of composition: Jan 1975 to August 1975.
1st edition: 1975 (2000 copies)
2nd edition: 1976 (2000 copies)
3rd edition: 1982 (1000 copies)
4th edition: 1987 (1000 copies)
5th edition: 1994 (1000 copies)
6th edition: 2000 (1000 copies)
Preface to the 4th edition
1. Few things about 'Ramayana'
2. Myth and Reality
1) What does 'scientific outlook' mean?
2) Reality that manifests in the myth:Golden Deer, The Bird Jatayu, Hanuman crossing the ocean, Hosting by Mynaka.
3) Half belief in the poet
4) Which is the ocean that Hanuman crossed?
5) Poet's 'futile struggle' for reality in the myth
3. Clamour about 'Prakshiptas' (Interpolations)
1) According to the critics of Interpolations
2) Are interpolations alone the basis for the defects in 'Ramayana'?: Didn't Lakshamana marry?- Is burning of Lanka, an interpolation?-Succession to throne- Development of the story-Who wrote 'Ramayana'?
3) Special features of certain other versions of 'Ramayana': In Bhaskara Ramayana, In Sri Krishna Ramayana, In Aadhyatma Ramayana
4) Arguments of those who say there are no Interpolations in 'Ramayana'
5) Differences in the nature of defects in 'Ramayana': Foolish mistakes, Bias towards Rama, Sex-attitude towards women
6) What is the difference between Valmiki's 'Ramayana' and the present day Ramayana?
5. 'Holy' Ramayana (A short-story)
6. Is 'Ramayana' not 'literature'?
1) What does 'examination' of Society actually mean?
2) Does 'society' not appear in 'Ramayana'?
3) How does a Marxist critique of literature look like?
7. Some questions, some doubts and some 'negative' comments
8. Some 'positive' comments
1. AFTER THE 3RD STORY AND UPTO THE 4TH STORY (Link-3)
2. GREATER THAN THAT GUY! (Story-4)
3. AFTER THE 4TH STORY AND UPTO THE 5TH STORY(Link-4)
4. DID SHE HEED MY ADVICE? (Story-5)
5. AFTER THE 5TH STORY AND UPTO THE 6TH STORY (Link-5)
6. THE SEX MANIAC (Story-6)
7. COLLABARATIVE THIEVES (RAMA AND SUGRIVA) (Story-7)
8. THE REAL FACE OF THE 'FRIENDSHIP' (Story-8)
9. AFTER THE 8TH STORY AND UPTO THE 9TH STORY (Link-6)
10. SITA AND RAVANA (Story-9)
11. AFTER THE 9TH STORY AND UPTO THE 10TH STORY (Link-7)
12. PENNYLESS PRESENT (Story-10)
(Total Foot notes in this volume: 203.
Volume 3 (4th edition: pages 720, paper back, 1/8th crown size)
Date of composition: October 1975 to July 1976
1st edition: 1976 (2000 copies)
2nd edition: 1977 (2000 copies)
3rd edition :1992 (1000 copies)
4th edition: 1997 (1000 copies)
PREFACE (to the 1st edition)
1. HOW GOOD AM I? HOW MANY HARDSHIPS DO I FACE? (Story-11)
2. THE THIRD THIEF (Vibhushana) (Story-12)
3. AFTER THE 12TH STORY AND UPTO THE 13TH STORY (Link-8)
4. HAS RAMA PASSED AWAY?
5. AFTER THE 13TH STORY AND UPTO THE 14TH STORY (Link-9)
6. THE PUBLIC CONTROVERSY (STORY-14)
7. AFTER THE 14TH STORY AND UPTO THE 15TH STORY (Link-10)
8. RAMA IN THE PLACE OF SHOES (Story-15)
9. AFTER THE 15TH STORY AND UPTO 16TH STORY (Link-11)
10. THE BEAUTY OF RAMA'S RULE (Story-16)
11. WHAT ARE THE ADVANTAGES IF WE READ 'RAMAYANA'?
12. VALMIKI AS POET
13. SOME CRITICS OF 'RAMAYANA'
1) Kotta Satyanarayana Chowdary's 'Secrets of Ramayana'
2) Suravaram Pratapa Reddy's 'Specialities of Ramayana'
3) Muddu Krishna's 'Ashokam'
4) Tripuraneni Ramaswamy's 'The killing of Shambuka'
5) Chalam's 'Sita enters the fire'
6) Periyar E.V. Ramaswamy's "Ramayana: A True Reading'
14. WHY SHOULD WE REJECT THE CULTURE OF 'RAMAYANA'?
(Total Foot notes in this volume: 178)